To send a message on the Facebook desktop site:
1. Click at the top right of the screen.
2. Click New Message.
3. Start typing a name into the To field. Names of friends will appear in a dropdown.
4. Select the person or people you want to message.
5. Type your message, then press enter to send.
You can also message someone by clicking Message at the top of their profile.
- When you send a message to someone you're friends with on Facebook, it gets delivered to their Facebook messages inbox.
- If the person uses Messenger, it will also be delivered to their Messenger app.
- Messages you send to people you're not Facebook friends with may arrive in their message requests.
- Once the person views your message, it will be marked as seen.
- You'll get messages in your inbox from people who you're friends with on Facebook.
- If you get a message from someone you're not friends with on Facebook, you'll get a message request.
- Spam messages are filtered out of your requests.
Only you and the people you’re messaging can view your conversation.
Each of your conversations is separate. Even if some of the same people are in more than one conversation, we don't combine those conversations into one thread. For example, if you have conversation with just Jane, and then Jane is included in a different conversation among a larger group of friends, the original thread will stay separate from the group conversation.
Keep in mind:
- Someone you're having a conversation with could choose to show it other people or take a screenshot of it
- New friends can be added to group conversations, which allows them to see all previous messages in the conversation
If someone sends you a message that makes you uncomfortable, you can:
- Block messages from them. They won't be able to contact you (ex: send you messages or call you) in Messenger, or message you with Facebook chat. Learn more about what happens when you block messages from someone.
- Report a threatening message. Note: If you want to report a secret conversation, follow these separate instructions
- Delete the conversation. Keep in mind that this won't delete the conversation from their inbox. If you want to report the conversation, take a screenshot before you delete it.
- Block them on Facebook. Learn more about what happens when you block someone on Facebook.
Note: You can also report their Facebook account if you think they're using a fake account or pretending to be you or someone else.